If you want to keep your home moisture free, then a damp-proof course is vital of that. A damp-proof course is an effective way to stop water from entering a property from the earth, and it helps protect your home against moisture damage that causes decorative spoiling.
But how much does a damp-proof course cost to install? The expert team at Atlantis Property Preservation is here to explain everything you need to know.
What Is a Damp-Proof Course?
A damp-proof course, or DPC, is designed to form a protective, waterproof barrier that stops moisture from seeping into your home. Damp-proof courses create an impervious barrier that makes it impossible to dampness to rise up the walls. They are commonly made from impermeable materials, and they are typically installed in the mortar bed below the internal floor level to protect against rising water.
There are several types of damp-proof courses available, each of which has different associated costs. The most common DPCs include:
- Chemical damp-proof course injections
- Mortar damp proof-course injections
- Electroosmotic damp-proof courses
Why Do You Need a Damp-Proof Course?
A damp-proof course is a vital protective measure that may stop your home from suffering damage from damp. Here are the most important reasons to ensure you have a damp-proof course installed:
- Keeps your home protected against rising damp
- Stops problems that arise from dampness, including wet rot and mould
- Helps you to avoid health problems, such as respiratory illnesses, that may arise due to black toxic mould spores associated with condensation. Black mould is likely to form on the coldest walls in your home, and damp walls are naturally colder than dry walls, therefore making black mould more likely in a damp home.
- Increases the value of your property over time
- Saves you money in the long-term, as you avoid paying for costly repairs.
How Much Does a Damp-Proof Course Cost?
The cost of a damp-proof course varies from one property to the next. Major costs will include the materials and labour, so the size of the property and the type of DPC being installed will affect the overall price.
The major factors that affect the cost of installing a damp-proof course include:
- The size of the area that requires damp-proofing within your property
- The time that’s needed for the work to be carried out
- The type of DPC you’re going to have installed
- Additional survey, damp-proofing or repair work to your property
If damp has already taken hold in your property, you may also need to factor in other costs in order to fix and remove the damp problem before a new DPC can be installed. For an accurate estimation, it’s essential that you have a consultation with a damp-proofing specialist and have a detailed survey undertaken.
What Is Included in the Cost of a Damp-Proof Course?
With a professional company such as Atlantis Property Preservation, the cost of a damp-proof course may include the following:
- Pre-installation survey, with any upfront survey cost deducted from the invoice of any required works.
- Installation of the damp proof-course
- Replastering or membrane installation
- Tanking solutions to cater for any shortfall
- Solutions to solve penetrating damp
- Solutions to solve condensation issues
- Clean up and removal of waste materials
Contact Atlantis Property Preservation for more information and arrange for our expert team to visit your home.
Atlantis Property Preservation’s experienced team of damp-proofing specialists will ensure that your property is fully protected.
Contact our friendly staff today to find out how we can damp-proof your home.